Instructions for how to apply BioDerm
BioDerm can be used on circumcised (where there is no foreskin present) and uncircumcised (where the foreskin is present and moveable) men.
- Hold penis with one hand throughout application.
- Retract foreskin (if present) completely throughout the application.
- Wash the area with warm water and plain soap. Dry thoroughly. Do not use creams, lotions, ointments or moisturising soap on penis tip as this will affect the adhesion of BioDerm.
- Prior to application ensure vent adaptor (circled) is facing upwards in line with the top 2 petals.
- Pull the release paper on the top of the seal surrounding the small opening.
- Once completed, place the small opening of the seal on the nub located underneath the main device as shown in the picture.
- Pull release paper on each side around tip to apply seal and gently allow it to cover the petals.
- Press and hold. The warmth of your skin will help the adhesive to stick well.
- Return foreskin (if present) to natural position over the seal. If you are unable to do this, remove the BioDerm and contact your healthcare professional before trying the product again.
- Connect the BioDerm tube to the long tube of a urine collection bag. For proper drainage, ensure collection bag is below penis.
- Secure the leg bag using either leg straps or a sleeve.
- Secure the long tube of the leg bag with a fixation device such as CliniFix to aid comfort and minimise any risk of pulling.*
- If irritation should occur, discontinue use and consult your healthcare professional.
* Ensure the securement device is placed as close to/just below BioDerm.
Glad someone has brought this to the fore.i had prostate removed 3 week ago. Constant leaking got this now I've got some sanity back and some freedom to go places beats pads anytime.Dan bennett - December 2018
Massive difference in my life
After surgery to remove cancerous prostate I was left totally incontinent. My surgeon wanted me to wear pads, as he said I would get lazy and not do pelvic floor excesses if I didn’t wear pads! I tried convene sheaths but didn’t get on well. Internet search revealed BioDerm. I was offered a free trial, and that changed my life from being miserable wearing pads that only lasted a few hours and restricted what I could do, to someone who could go out and enjoy myself as prior to the operation. Massive difference in my life. I wore BioDerm for 30 months until I was fitted with a Artificial Urinary Sphincter, so glad I found them.Joe Hatton - July 2018
BioDerm: A smart product that actually works
As a C5-C6 spinal cord injury survivor I had to deal with accidents and being limited in my activities. Men’s BioDerm changed all of that. I am now able to use a standing machine, do loco-motor training, serious stretching and transfers with no trouble. It’s about time somebody made a smart product that actually works.Caleb B - June 2016
Life has been much better with BioDerm external catheter
After many complications with prostate surgery, I was left with complete incontinence. Every day was miserable and I did not want to go anywhere. After my doctor offered the BioDerm external catheter, life has been much better. I can now drink what I want and lead a more normal life.Phil C - June 2016
An excellent device
I was very impressed by the product and, after getting used to fitting it and the feel of it, I think it is an excellent device; I managed to keep them leak-free and in place for at least 3 days, with no soreness of any descriptionMr T H - October 2013
At last, something for retracted anatomy
At last something for retracted anatomy; I used to feel really sorry for those poor chaps who had no option other than having the indignity of wearing pads for the rest of their lives, but, now we have BioDermMrs A R (Continence Nurse Specialist) - October 2013
Is BioDerm right for me?
BioDerm is suitable for both circumcised and uncircumcised men however, you must be able to gently pull back the foreskin (if present). If the foreskin doesn’t move then BioDerm is not the right product for you.
Use BioDerm if:
- You are a sheath user and you are experiencing leaks or fall offs during the day or the night disrupting your night sleep
- You are a sheath user and you have broken or excoriated skin
- You have
- Retracted anatomy or retracted anatomy when sitting
- Large tip and a narrow shaft
- Frequent erections, causing your current product to dislodge
What is male urinary incontinence?
Male urinary incontinence is any involuntary leakage of urine. It can be a common and distressing problem which may have a profound impact on the quality of a man’s life.
What are the risk factors for male urinary incontinence?
Risk factors can include:
- Increasing age – urinary incontinence becomes more common as you get older
- Family history – there may be a genetic link to male incontinence
- Disability – conditions affecting your brain or spinal cord such as multiple sclerosis or dementia.
- Prostatectomy – an operation to remove your prostate gland, for example, if you have prostate cancer
- Lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) – symptoms that affect the bladder and urethra
Click below to discover 6 key lifestyle changes for optimal bladder health
What is the adaptation phase?
BioDerm is made from a hydrocolloid material which is skin-friendly and sticks well with the warmth of your skin. When you first start using BioDerm if your skin is very damp then after a couple of hours it may fall off. This is because the hydrocolloid has absorbed the excess moisture. If this happens you MUST put another BioDerm immediately back on and be committed to this adaptation phase while the hydrocolloid returns the skin back to its natural balance.