I find that my stoma bag leaks – what can I do?
Leaks can occur for a variety of different reasons. Check the following, and see if adjusting your routine solves the problem. See also the sections for sore skin and stoma bag adhesion – often these problems are interconnected.
- Stoma bag hole is too large – needs to be a snug fit. Re-measure your stoma using the backing paper of the adhesive as a guide. You may want to stand in front of a mirror to do this. You can also call our CliniMed Careline on 0800 0360100 for a measuring guide.
- Bag is applied incorrectly e.g. creases in adhesive, or the abdominal skin behind the bag needs to be gently stretched.
- Skin is too moist – make sure your skin is dry before applying the stoma bag.
- Stoma is in a dip or crease – see section above.
- Stoma is retracted – see section above.
Our CliniMed Careline team can talk through your routine and try and establish why you might be experiencing problems with leaks, and what you can do to help. Give them a call on 0800 0360100.
Return to Stoma Care FAQs page