Changing a Two Piece Stoma Bag
Two piece stoma bags have a separate adhesive (flange) with a raised collar over which the pouch is fitted. The flange can be kept on for 2 -3 days and the new pouches can be attached when necessary.
- Wash hands
- If using a drainable or urostomy bag empty the contents of your stoma bag into the toilet.
- Apply adhesive remover on top and around the edge of the flange to be removed and wait a few seconds.
- Gently peel back the flange, applying additional remover if required.
- Remove excess soiling on the stoma and surrounding skin with dry non-woven swab.
- Wash stoma and surrounding area with water and dry thoroughly.
- If necessary, check the size of your stoma, using the measuring card supplied.
- If your pouch needs adjusting, cut a hole to the required size using a pair of pouch cutting scissors*.
- Apply barrier wipe to skin around stoma. Leave for a few seconds until dry. This will not affect pouch adhesion.
- Remove the protective cover from the adhesive flange.
- Fit flange and smooth over from the stoma to the edge ensuring there are no creases in the adhesive.
- Hold in place with your hand for 30 to 50 seconds as the warmth increases the adhesion to your skin.
- Attach stoma bag to the flange from the bottom ensuring that the bag and flange are aligned.
*Pouch cutting scissors are available free of charge or a pouch cutting service is available, also free of charge, to current users of the SecuriCare home delivery service.