Changing a One Piece Bag
- Wash hands.
- If using a drainable or urostomy bag empty the contents of your stoma bag into the toilet.
- Apply adhesive remover on top and around the edge of the flange to be removed and wait a few seconds.
- Gently peel back the flange, applying additional remover if required.
- Remove excess soiling on the stoma and surrounding skin with dry non-woven swab.
- Wash stoma and surrounding area with water and dry thoroughly.
- If necessary, check the size of your stoma, using the measuring card supplied.
- If your pouch needs adjusting, cut a hole to the required size using a pair of pouch cutting scissors*.
- Apply barrier wipe to skin around stoma. Leave for a few seconds until dry. This will not affect pouch adhesion.
- Remove the protective cover from the adhesive flange.
- Fit pouch and smooth over the adhesive from the stoma to the edge ensuring there are no creases that might cause leakage.
- Hold in place with your hand for 30 to 50 seconds as the warmth increases the adhesion to your skin.
- If using a drainable or urostomy pouch make sure the opening or tap is securely closed before applying the new pouch
*Pouch cutting scissors are available free of charge or a pouch cutting service is available, also free of charge, to current users of the SecuriCare home delivery service.